Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs)
Over 100 NQTs join Reading each year. Reading Borough Council values newly qualified teachers for their enthusiasm, talent, passion and energy and offers them excellent career opportunities.
We will encourage you to make the best use of your talents, develop your skills and support you, as you first enter the profession.
Our schools are forward looking and work closely with the local authority to provide newly qualified teachers with advice, support and training to embark on their career.
NQT Induction Year:
You will follow a personalised induction programme during your first year which is specific to your development needs. All NQTs are allocated a mentor and tutor to support them during their induction year.
The local authority also offers NQTs:
- access to the full in-service Primary training programme
- high quality school based support
- conferences and networking events.
Finding your first job in Reading
Schools advertise for teachers all year round but the majority of vacancies for teaching posts start appearing from January for jobs in September.
Applying for vacancies at Reading is easy. You can view teaching vacancies on the following websites:
- Reading Borough Council – http://powered.jobsgopublic.com/reading/
- Green Sheets – www.schoolvacancies.co.uk
- Teaching vacancies & educational recruitment – http://www.tver.co.uk
Hints and Tips on applying
- Before completing an application we recommend visiting the school you are interested in to find out more about the school.
- When completing your application think very carefully about how your skills and qualifications match up with the essential criteria on the Person Specification.
- Personalise your application for every school including details of your previous experience working with children in school or other environments, such as:
– your contribution to team activities or team working
– areas where you have had special responsibilities
– where you have developed (and sustained) positive relationships with young people
– any additional skills including life experience knowledge and academic achievements
– include details about what you have achieved in your professional and personal life and how this benefits the pupils and the school.